Flu – book an appointment!!
Our flu vaccines are arriving. We will be texting you and attaching a link for you to book your appointment online with us. Patients without mobiles will be rung by our team and offered appointments. Please do consider having the vaccine – NHS England have communicated the information below to encourage you all to take up the vaccination.
Top 10 messages for eligible patients:
1. Flu is much worse than a heavy cold flu symptoms can be severe and
can come on suddenly. You’re likely to spend several days in bed and feel
very unwell. Some people become seriously ill and have to go to hospital.
2. You are at greater risk of complications from flu – you’re eligible for flu
vaccination because you need it.
3. The flu vaccine is very safe.
4. The flu vaccine is the best protection we have against an unpredictable
5. The flu vaccine CANNOT give you flu your arm might be a bit sore where
you were injected, and some people have a slight temperature
20 Flu vaccinations toolkit 2021-22
Top10 messages for eligible patients cont.
6. The flu vaccine stimulates your body’s immune system to make
antibodies to attack the flu virus – if you’re exposed to the virus after
you’ve been vaccinated, your immune system will recognize the virus and
produce antibodies to fight it.
7. It can take up to 2 weeks for the flu vaccine to work, so get vaccinated
as soon as you can.
8. You need to have the flu vaccine each year because the circulating
strains of the virus change, and so different vaccines are produced to match.
9. Pregnant women can have the vaccination at any stage of pregnancy,
flu can make you and your baby very ill. Vaccination can also protect your
baby against flu after they’re born and during their first few months.
10.Your vaccination helps to protect those around you too, so elderly
relatives, those with long-term conditions and other family members are all
protected by your vaccination.